Monday, May 27, 2013

Lowe's Triple Dip - 15% Cashback

Disclaimer - The Discover offers are no longer valid.

About 10 days ago, I posted about saving 10% off Lowe's Purchases.  I want to confirm that it is possible to get 15% off every Lowe's purchase until the end of June using the Chase Freedom or Discover it cards!

I'm not going to repeat everything here, but here is the basic idea:

  • Buy physical gift cards at after starting your shopping at either the Chase Ultimate Rewards shopping portal or the Shop Discover shopping portal.  Buy in increments that are less than you expect to spend.  For example, I am probably going to spend $400 at Lowe's when I move.  I will buy a $300 gift card and 4 $25 gift cards so that it isn't all on one card. 
    • Both cards have Lowe's among their 5% quarterly categories and both give another 5% for starting at their shopping portal for a total of 10%
      • It takes about a week for the gift cards to come for free or you could get them rushed for $4.95
      • Do not buy eGift cards as though are processed by a different company and won't come back as a Lowe's purchase
  • Once you have your gift card, go back to the shopping portal and pay with your gift card.  As long as what you are buying is slightly more than the balance of your gift cards, use the appropriate credit card to pay the rest of the balance, you will get the extra 5% on the entire balance, not just the portion you paid for with the credit card!

I bought something for $10, put $2 on gift cards, the rest on my Chase Freedom and I got 50 points, not 40 points!

If you are moving, like me, make sure to sign up for a 10% moving coupon on up to $5,000 in purchases.

If you want to see similar experiments, check out the Frequent Miler Labs where he tests many theories to see what does and what doesn't work.  The one I posted about today, I have tried and confirmed myself.